Friday, January 29, 2016

Update on our Service Project



My group and I are still in the process of working on our video project for the Lake Norman Rotary Club. I would say we are a little behind schedule because we were not able to attend the meetings two weeks in a row due to school complications. We had tests the day of the meeting, and one of our members had a medical problem that he had to attend to. But we should be able to attend the next meeting and get the rest of our footage. 

This project has been a great way to experience the "real world". We have gotten to talk to real people and professionally work with them. I definitely would like to do another project like this for another company or club in the future. 

I would say that this class has helped me to become a better film maker and a more observant creator for media. There are different things like the rule of thirds that I use now whenever I take pictures or video. 
I volunteer regularly at my church as a Director of Cameras so I was familiar with head room and different types of shots that a cameraman should get. But this project has definitely broadened my knowledge of different scenarios and how to properly interview someone. 

Obviously the product is what the club sees and what they want in the end. So technically the product is most important. This is why we are doing this project, to create a product. But don't let anyone discount the importance of the process. Learning how to properly create a video or any type of product is essential to being successful. If you speed through the process, then you come out with a mediocre product. And no one should ever settle for mediocracy. My group and I are aiming for something extraordinary, something breathtaking!
We want to win this project. 

Like I said, we are a little behind with our footage, but during our last visit, we interviewed one Rotarian and the mayor! Hopefully at our next meeting, we will be able to interview the president of the club and one or two other members. It is always good to get more footage then you think you will need for any video. You can always cut out footage, but you can't add footage after you are done shooting. 


Have a great day and don't forget to smile!

1 comment:

  1. Goodness Nathan you are a work horse! I'm loving the direction you are taking and the initiative.

    ReplyDelete